Inmersos/Immersed is a two-part series about the boom in Spanish immersion education programs in West Michigan schools. Below you can visualize and explore the data that I collected for this series. Click on the image to view it in a new tab.
- “Dual Language Education Programs: Current State Policies and Practices” – United States Department of Education
- “Guiding Principles for Dual Language Education” – Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL)
- Text of the home language survey – Michigan State Board of Education
- Report (2013) on English Learners in the State of Michigan, with results from the home language survey – Michigan Department of Education
- Example of the use of the term “dual language learner” in a context that is unrelated to the nature of the student’s formal education – Michigan Department of Education
Special thanks to:
- Sheryl Dalman, West Michigan Alliance of Immersion Educators
- Harriet McTigue and Alicia Guevara-Warren, Michigan League for Public Policy
- Peter Hunsberger
The list of 31 programs was compiled from a provisional list from the West Michigan Alliance of Immersion Educators, which was then verified and updated by Emily Hunsberger. The data about the type of program and the percentage of the building in immersion were compiled by Emily Hunsberger via individual contact with each school.
Data source for student counts (for public schools, districts, and intermediate school districts):
Michigan’s Center for Educational Performance and Information – Student Counts, School Year: 2017-2018, All Grades, Report Type: Race/Ethnicity, Student Type: English Learners. https://www.mischooldata.org/
Data source for private schools*:
National Center for Education Statistics – PSS Private School Universe Survey for 2015-2016 School Year. https://nces.ed.gov/surveys/pss/privateschoolsearch/index.asp
*The student population data for Kalamazoo Christian Elementary and Kalamazoo Christian Middle Schools were extrapolated based on the average profile of similar schools and https://www.privateschoolreview.com/kalamazoo-christian-elementary-middle-schools-profile.